Over the last 2 years Borders Exploration Group has designed, commissioned and placed a stainless steel ‘toposcope’ (direction indicator) on the redundant, adopted ‘trig point’ on the summit of Ruberslaw, a prominent hill c.5 miles east of Hawick.
The toposcope, designed by Graham Anderson and machined by ‘Engraving Services’ of Dundee, identifies the hills of the Scottish Borders which are visible from Ruberslaw and indicates the direction of the 15 countries visited by BEG expeditions. The project celebrates 20 years of Borders Exploration Group during which time more than 400 16-25 year olds and more than 100 volunteer ‘adult leaders’ have visited 15 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America.
The toposcope was ‘unveiled’ by Sir Michael Strang-Steel, our Patron, in situ at a publicity event on Sunday 4th August in front of nearly 40 BEG members past and present, the landowner and individuals and representatives of local organisations including the James Maclean Trust and Scottish Borders Council who had contributed to the project’s cost .
Whilst it was very windy on the summit (1392’, 424 m) it was a great BEG occasion reminding folk of the importance of Ruberslaw to the early days of BEG (those wishing to join the leader team of Lesotho 93 had to provide a gourmet meal on its summit!).
The ‘trig point’ had been given a fresh coat of white paint by members of Lesotho 93 as part of their own 20th Anniversary Reunion over the weekend of 6th/7th July and when the sun is shining the column is prominent for miles around!
Thanks are due to Joe and Alan Dowler-Smith who adopted the trig point some years ago.